As wedding guests doing the Electric Slide already know, electricity is here, there and everywhere. It’s also an important part of the transition to cleaner, more efficient energy sources.
Electric motors are designed to be more efficient than gas combustion engines, so electric motors use less energy to perform the same task. Electric motors could also make the air we breathe cleaner since they do not emit exhaust.
If the electricity used to power these motors comes from renewable sources like solar, wind and hydropower, electric motors have the potential to be even better for the planet. In contrast, gas-powered items rely on nonrenewable fossil fuels and contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
Electric vehicles, for example, have dominated the conversation about gas versus electric, but there are many more common, everyday polluters we can swap with cleaner alternatives. Here are five electric items to consider flipping the switch on:
- Electric lawn equipment like lawn mowers and leaf blowers are quieter, produce less pollution and require less maintenance than gas-powered counterparts.
- Electric cooktops are often easier to clean, safer to use and more energy-efficient than gas cooktops.
- Rechargeable batteries can replace disposable batteries. They’re more cost-effective over time and better for the environment.
- Slow cookers and toaster ovens cook many things as well as conventional ovens and use less energy.
- Electric motorcycles or scooters are more efficient rides than gas-powered versions. They’re also quieter and produce less pollution.
Though some electric items may have larger upfront costs than their gas-powered counterparts, consider the long-term cost savings and environmental benefits. Electricity rates are also more consistent than gas rates, so it’s easier to plan a budget.
Take a moment to consider how you can flip the switch in your lifestyle and swap out gas-powered for electric items. You can even take advantage of rebates for some of these more efficient technologies.