I can't pay my current bill. What options do I have?
If you can't pay your bill in full by your due date, you may be eligible for a Payment Extension or Payment Arrangement.
- A Payment Extension delays your current due date.
- A Payment Arrangement lets you pay past-due bills over an extended period of time.
What is the difference between a Payment Arrangement and a Payment Extension?
A payment extension extends your current bill due date up to 30 days.
- Make sure to request your payment extension before the bill is due. (Extensions aren’t available for past-due bills.)
- Extending your current bill due date does not extend your next bill’s due date. You will need to pay both the extended amount and your next bill amount on the dates they are due.
Am I eligible? Residential and business customers without a past due balance are eligible for a payment extension, as long as it’s set up before the bill due date. Customers on Automatic Payment are not eligible for a payment extension.
Check your eligibility for a Payment Extension by logging into My Account and selecting “Need Help to Pay.”
log into my account to check eligibility
A Payment Arrangement lets you pay your past-due bills over an extended period of time. The Payment Arrangement amount will be due in addition to your current bill amount.
- No call necessary: Handle your payment arrangement online!
- Quick and easy process takes just a few minutes.
Am I eligible? Residential and business customers who are not on Budget Billing are eligible. Defaulting on a previous payment arrangement may impact eligibility. It takes only minutes to find out if you are eligible.
Please do not email your request for a Payment Extension or Payment Arrangement.
You may also qualify for support from a community action agency for energy assistance.
Alliant Energy field service personnel cannot accept payments.
To avoid service disconnection, it is very important to take action on past due bills immediately.
- If we must disconnect your service, we cannot guarantee same-day reconnection. (Exception: November 1 through April 1 for Iowa customers.)