In order to focus our giving, there are projects we don’t fund. Please review this list in its entirety before you apply for a grant.
- Energy related projects, including solar panels, generators, energy efficient lighting or other items related to Alliant Energy’s core business. Alliant Energy Foundation is not able to support these types of projects due to IRS Corporate Foundation giving guidelines.
- Religious institutions such as churches, synagogues, temples or other houses of worship, or any organization whose main purpose is to promote a specific faith, creed or religion and/or direct resources to advocate for a specific ideology; This includes projects supported by a church that are for non-church purposes (i.e. social welfare programs)
- Organizations that discriminate against people because of their age, race, creed, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity or national origin
- Contributions to individuals or for-profit businesses
- Contributions to intermediary (“third party”) funding groups that raise money to distribute to other charities
- Fraternal or social clubs
- Events, fundraisers, or programs that primarily support arts and culture or health and wellness initiatives, including education programs in these categories
- Emergency vehicles, body cameras, riot gear, tasers or K-9 service dogs
- Animal welfare agencies or animal training services
- Bricks and mortar construction, structural renovations, repairs or similar projects
- Multi-year pledge requests
- Endowments; Athletes, teams, sporting events or tournaments, and swimming pools/splashpads
- Registration or participation fees for individuals, teams or schools for fundraising events, e.g., walk-a-thons, runs, travel funds for tours or tournaments
- Golf outings, or run/walk events
- Books, magazines or professional journal articles
- Computers, laptops, or tablets
- Field trips; Post-prom events, Booster programs
- Legal Aid
- Trick or treat events
- Community welcome signs
- Holiday gift programs that provide toys or Shop with a Cop
- Individual Boy/Girl Scout troops
Generally, we prefer to provide grants to support specific programs, projects or initiatives in lieu of general operating support. Please note: Support of political activity either directly or indirectly is prohibited by law.
The Foundation is governed by a board of directors consisting of officers of Alliant Energy Corporation or its subsidiaries, which periodically reviews grant program guidelines.