April showers may bring May flowers, but Midwest summers often bring severe storms.
And those storms can leave damaged trees and downed power lines across your property or neighborhood. It’s dangerous to clean up debris and work near power lines, so please stay at least 10 feet away and call us to report the issue.
Please follow these key steps to follow when you encounter a low hanging or downed power line:
- Assume downed or low lines are still energized.
- Stay away; do not approach downed or low lines.
- Keep other people, children and pets away from downed lines.
- If you see a downed wire on a fence, do not touch the fence. The fence could be energized and dangerous.
- Call 1-800-ALLIANT if you see a downed power line and we’ll send a crew to help.
Here are a few things to keep in mind after a storm this summer:
- Sign up for My Account at alliantenergy.com/myaccount to receive outage alerts by text, email or phone.
- Report any outages and see up-to-date restoration information in our Outage Center at alliantenergy.com/outage.
- Be sure to wear proper safety gear when trimming trees yourself and follow proper safety protocols.