Contractor safety basics
- Call 811 or your local one-call center before you dig. When digging, stay at least 18 inches from marked utilities.
- Keep vehicles, equipment and people at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines.
In an electrical emergency:
- If your equipment contacts a line, stay on the equipment and call 911.
- If a co-worker contacts a line, do not touch the injured person. Call 911.
- If you must get off your equipment, jump and land with both feet — do not touch the vehicle and ground at the same time. Shuffle away from the area.
In a natural gas emergency:
- Shut off all equipment.
- Remove ignition source and do NOT use electrical devices that may create a spark.
- Evacuate the area.
- Call 911 from a safe distance upwind.
The purpose of Alliant Energy's electric service manuals is to supply essential information to customers, employees, architects, engineers, contractors, inspectors, and others concerned with the planning and construction of electric service installations in our utility service areas.
Electric Service Rules (Issued January 2018)
Electric Service Equipment (Issued January 2018)
Electric Service Rules Summary of Changes - 2018 (Issued January 2018)
Electric Service Equipment addendum - A.M.P. discontinued cabinets (Issued January 2018)
The information is provided in printer-friendly Adobe Acrobat PDF format.
Gas Service ManualTable of Contents
Chapter 1 - General Information
Chapter 2 - Protecting Gas System from Back Pressure, Low-Pressure/Vacuum or Overpressure
Chapter 3 - Company Facilities on Customer Premises
Chapter 4 - Gas System Extensions
Chapter 5 - Service Installations
Chapter 6 - Metering Facility Location and Clearances
Chapter 7 - Customer Gas Piping and Equipment
Chapter 8 - Gas Meter Connections
Chapter 9 - Manufactured Homes
Gas Piping Statement
Building a new home?
You must completely fill out this form as soon as you obtain your building permit.
Iowa Residential Electric and Natural Gas Service Application and Agreement
Wisconsin Residential Electric and Natural Gas Service Application and Agreement
Building a new commercial, industrial or multi-family building?
Please contact us at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) before completing these forms. We will send you a complete packet of information, including contact information for the construction associate who will assist you in this process.
Commercial, Industrial, Multi-Family New Construction Service Application
Alliant Energy's Contractor Safety Handbook
Safety prequalification requirements
Alliant Energy has established a business relationship with ISNetworld to help our company objectively manage contractor safety prequalification requirements.
As a result, the majority of contractors performing physical work for Alliant Energy will be required to become subscribers to ISNetworld.
Learn about Alliant Energy's contractor safety prequalification requirements