Requirements for pole attachment
The following requirements must be met before any wireline or associated equipment attachment is made to an ITC facility.
- A copy of a fully executed Third Party Pole Attachment Agreement must be on file (or in process) at Alliant Energy’s corporate office. If you do not have an existing agreement, please email email@example.com
- A completed online Pole Attachment Request (application) form must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Field Engineering review of all structures and approval of each attachment must be completed.
NOTE: The Pole Attachment Request form [.xlsx] is used for cell phone equipment, cable television or fiber optic communication cables, antennas and communication dishes.
- Complete all unshaded areas of the online Pole Attachment Request (application) form. A signed Cover Sheet is required for each application. For specific instructions related to each field on the form, please see the Form Instructions information below. Forms that are not complete will be returned via ‘Reply’ email.
- Save the form (Excel spreadsheet), and send it via email to email@example.com. The required documents identified in the Cover Sheet must also be included in your email. Maps or drawings in .pdf format may also be attached to the email. Maps should clearly show city name, street names and reference point locations that correspond with the application form. If you require more than the 100 poles allowed on the form, a separate application will be required.
- You will receive a confirmation ‘Reply’ email once the Request has been successfully received.
- Within 60 days after receipt of application, you will be notified whether the attachment will be permitted or whether further engineering analysis may be required. A cost estimate of engineering analysis will be provided before final determination may be made.
- A $250 administrative fee is due and payable for each application at the time of request.
- An IPL Field Engineer will contact you regarding the field survey of the facilities identified on the Pole Attachment Request. You will compensate IPL and/or ITC for all time spent evaluating your request whether you attach to the poles or not. If ITC evaluation of the request requires engineering analysis, you will receive an engineering cost estimate for your approval before moving forward. This engineering analysis estimate must be paid before moving forward on the attachment request.
- If make-ready is required, estimated charges will be communicated to you, and will be pre-billed if you decide to continue with attachment(s) on the proposed route. When payment is received, the IPL Field Engineer will notify ITC to schedule make-ready construction and will contact you when it has been completed.
- Once make-ready is complete, you may attach your wires and/or equipment as specified and approved. The date of attachment approval (if no make-ready is required) or make-ready completion will be the effective date of the attachments, and the records will be entered into IPL’s tracking and billing systems.
- Notify the IPL Field Engineer immediately once you have finished attaching to ITC poles.
- The IPL Field Engineer will perform a billable post-construction review of the new attachments. All time associated with the post-construction review is billable to the company requesting attachments. If violations are found, approval will be denied until corrections have been made.
Cover Sheet (signature and date required):
Location: Provide the location of the area where you are requesting to attach to ITC’s poles.
County: Provide County name.
Project Description: Provide project name and/or address.
Attaching Company Name: The official name of the company requesting to attach.
Company Rep. Name: Person responsible for performing the design and requesting attachment to ITC poles. This will be the person IPL will contact for further information or to provide information related to required make-ready.
Attaching Company Billing Address: The street address or PO Box including City, State and ZIP code where all communication and billing, including engineering and make-ready, should be sent.
Attaching Company Rep. Phone No.: The office or cell phone number where our Engineer may contact you during regular business hours.
Attaching Company Rep. E-mail: The email address of Company Representative.
Affiliation of Rep. if Not Attaching Company: If person completing this Request is not affiliated with the Attaching Company, identify the affiliation of Representative.
Attaching Company Principal Communications Type: (Pick one)
Existing Attachments Section: Complete this section only if there are existing attachments on ITC poles covered by this request. This includes the telephone company, CATV provider, municipal or other entity that may own some of the poles or have attachments on the poles. Other attaching companies may bill you for their costs related to your request.
Required Documents: The Attaching Company must provide: photos of structures, map(s), staking sheets (sketch for each pole), cut sheet of cable, plan and profile, identify any other obstacles along route (including photos), wire/cable/fiber specifications.
Signature and Date: Type in signature and date.
Request For Pole Attachment (Application):
Complete all unshaded areas.
Project Location or Description: Provide project name and/or address.
Name of Attaching Company: The official name of the company requesting to attach.
Location Description: Reference point numbers and pole information listed on application must correspond with map(s). Identify ITC pole number (if available), Town-Range-Section, physical address. Attach your company’s map which clearly indicates the ITC poles you wish to attach to, or an IPL map is available upon request. An additional map fee may be assessed.
Riser/Dip: Complete check box if applicable.
Total Cable/Fiber Diameter (including existing wire): Total diameter of the cable that will be on the pole. If the cable is being overlashed to existing cable, indicate the total diameter of the final attachment.
Cable Tension: Maximum cable tension on pole in heavy loading conditions.
Span Length: Span of length to attach.
Proposed Attachment Height: Calculate the height at which you propose the attachment be placed. IPL will review the calculations and determine if work needs to occur on the pole.
Minimum & Maximum Sag Between Poles: Indicate the minimum and maximum sag between spans that will provide you with code required from other facilities and ground clearance.
Existing Attachments: Indicate the owners of other attachments on the pole. Other attachment owners should be notified of your intent to place cable/wire/fiber on the pole per instructions on the Cover Sheet.
Existing Attachment Height: Indicate height of existing attachments (if applicable).
Lowest Parallel Power: Identify the height of the lowest wire/cable running above and parallel to the proposed attachment.
Lowest Power Attachment: Identify the height of the lowest facility attached to the pole.