Supporting Iowa's vision for growing renewable energy
What benefits will Iowa see as a result of this project?
- Enough renewable energy to power 215,000 homes.
- More than 1,500 jobs for Iowa at the peak of construction.
- Tens of millions in local property taxes in the first 20 years.
- A nearly $1 billion investment to advance clean energy in Iowa. This and other wind projects will contribute to our target to reduce carbon dioxide emissions 40% from 2005 levels by the year 2030 across our entire service area.
- Other economic benefits such as payments to landowners and supporting businesses seeking to use more renewable energy.
What is the timeline?
- Construction work is expected to begin in 2018.
- The project will be done in phases. The first phase will cover about half of the project. It is slated for completion by 2019.
- The second phase is expected to be complete by the end of 2020.
Click the image below to launch a 360-degree video tour of Whispering Willow Wind Farm.
In the news
- Here's How Two Midwestern Utilities Can Spend $5B On New Wind Farms And Lower Their Electric Rates – Forbes (November 10, 2016)
- Iowa hits new high for producing electricity from wind power – Radio Iowa (October 28, 2016)
- Wind power builds a better tomorrow for Iowa – The Hill (October 11, 2016)
- Wind Is the New Corn for Struggling Farmers – Bloomberg News (October 6, 2016)