Celebrate Earth Day — and Earth Month — with Alliant Energy!
April 22, 2022, marks the 52nd anniversary of Earth Day, a day to raise awareness of the importance of protecting the environment.
This year's theme, Invest in our Planet, is at the heart of our commitment to providing clean, reliable energy to our customers. Our transition to a clean energy future helps build strong communities and protects the planet for future generations. This commitment is so important that we've decided to keep the celebration going for the entire month of April!
Join us by making small investments for your home — like energy-efficient thermostats or LED lightbulbs — that can have large impacts on the planet.
Learn about Earth Day, our Clean Energy Blueprint and other ways you can make a difference today.
Committed to a clean energy future
As Alliant Energy moves forward with our Clean Energy Vision, we have joined with a multi-faceted group of like-minded partners in a five-year effort to swiftly develop and demonstrate low- and zero-carbon energy technologies. Learn more about our involvement in the Low-Carbon Resources Initiative by visiting our Corporate Responsibility Report.
We're a national leader in the transition of solar and wind energy. Last year, we completed the addition of 1.2 GW of new wind generation - making us the third largest owner-operator of regulated wind in the country.
Our future is guided by our Clean Energy Blueprints. This includes plans for our announced retirement of an additional 1,300 MW of coal generation by the end of 2024 and the addition of nearly 1,500 MW of solar generation and 75MW of energy storage.
View our Corporate Responsibility Report
Our Corporate Responsibility Report highlights our purpose-driven strategy by covering all aspects of our Environmental, Social and Governance programs. It includes our Clean Energy Vision and our sustainability goals to contribute to a healthier environment.
Help create a more sustainable future
Small lifestyle changes contribute to a more sustainable future. Use these 10 quick and easy tips each day to make the earth a cleaner place for all.
10 Tips to Create a More Sustainable Future:
Want more tips to contribute to a sustainable future? Give your home a “green makeover” each month when you take the PowerHouse Challenge. Past PowerHouse Challenges have encouraged customers to install energy-efficient lightbulbs and smart thermostats – just a few among hundreds of simple tips to save energy and money. Visit powerhousetv.com!
- Turn off the faucet when you brush your teeth – Save up to eight gallons of water each day when you turn off the tap for just two extra minutes.
- Unplug unnecessary appliances – Unplug computers, video games, and TVs when not in use. You can use smart power strips to maintain your settings.
- Wash your laundry in cold water – About 90% of the energy your washing machine uses goes towards heating the water. Switch to the cold water setting and you’ll save energy – and your clothes will last longer.
- Invest in reusable batteries – Cut down on battery waste. Rechargeable batteries can be used again and again!
- Air dry your dishes – Switch your dishwasher setting from heat dry to air dry to save energy.
- Switch from paper to cloth towels – Save the earth and save money. Reusable cloth towels are more sustainable – and less expensive – than paper.
- Don’t drink from plastic water bottles – 80 percent of plastic water bottles end up in landfills. Each bottle can take up to 1,000 years to decompose.
- Purchase reusable straws – If you’re a stickler for straws with your beverage, invest in portable, reusable straws to cut down on plastic waste.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room – This small gesture can save energy and money!
- Collect rainwater – Invest in a rainwater collection system. Use the water to clean, water your lawn and your plants and so much more (but untreated rainwater is not safe to drink).
Alliant Energy’s commitment to supporting the communities we serve extends to improving the natural environment for future generations.
In 2021, we announced our One Million Trees initiative to donate and help plant more than one million trees – representing one tree for each of our utility customers – by the end of 2030.
Customers can feel good knowing that somewhere in their state, there will be a tree planted for them — providing benefits as it grows.
To make this happen, we’re collaborating with organizations focusing on public forest restoration and preservation, urban forestry and non-profit partners dedicated to tree planting efforts in communities and rural areas across Iowa and Wisconsin. In fact, we’ve already teamed up with the Iowa and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Trees Forever.
In addition to providing shade, as these trees grow, they will naturally reduce greenhouse gases, improve water quality and provide wildlife habitat – making the future brighter and greener for our customers and communities for generations to come.
For more information about One Million Trees, visit alliantenergy.com/onemilliontrees.