Gas Technician

If you smell gas, move fast to safe location

As the weather turns cooler, Alliant Energy reminds customers of gas safety tips

MADISON, Wis. (Oct. 20, 2022) – With cooler weather arriving, Alliant Energy encourages customers to be aware of carbon monoxide and natural gas safety practices, especially as they turn on their furnaces and begin to use more natural gas.

“Our customers’ safety is our number one priority,” said Richard Sublett, director of operational compliance and work order management for Alliant Energy. “As customers turn on furnaces for the first time this season and begin to use natural gas appliances more frequently, it’s important they understand how to stay safe.”

Natural gas is commonly used to heat homes, warm water and cook food. Although gas leaks are rare, it’s important consumers know what to look for and how to react. One telltale sign of a natural gas leak is the smell of rotten eggs. A hiss or whistle near gas appliances can also be a sign.

Carbon monoxide can be released when a furnace or gas appliance malfunctions. Like natural gas detectors, carbon monoxide detectors can help identify this threat. Carbon monoxide is a deadly, odorless gas that causes dizziness, shortness of breath, headaches, confusion, nausea and fainting.

If you come across signs of a gas leak or experience these symptoms, leave the premises immediately. From a safe location, call 911.

“We urge customers to install natural gas and carbon monoxide detectors for greater security,” Sublett said. “Customers should also replace batteries regularly and get into a routine of practicing their emergency plans and ensuring all detectors work properly.”

Here are some additional tips to prevent natural gas and carbon monoxide incidents outside your home:

  • Always call 811 to have a professional mark buried lines in your yard if you intend to dig. If natural gas blows from any pipe in or outside your home, or you need medical attention for carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911.
  • Keep natural gas meters and appliance exhaust vents clear of snow, ice and debris. A blocked vent can cause carbon monoxide accumulation or equipment malfunction.

For more information about gas safety, please visit www.alliantenergy.com/gas.

Alliant Energy Corporation (NASDAQ: LNT) provides regulated energy service to 985,000 electric and 425,000 natural gas customers across Iowa and Wisconsin. Alliant Energy's mission is to deliver energy solutions and exceptional service customers and communities count on – safely, efficiently and responsibly. Interstate Power and Light Company and Wisconsin Power and Light Company are Alliant Energy's two public energy companies. Alliant Energy is a component of the Nasdaq CRD Sustainability Index, Bloomberg's 2022 Gender-Equality Index, and the S&P 500. For more information, visit alliantenergy.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Media Contact

Chris Caporale

chriscaporale@alliantenergy.com

(608) 458-3146

Contact Media Relations

24-hour access for reporters

For Iowa inquiries: (319) 786-4040
For Wisconsin inquiries: (608) 458-4040
alliantenergynews@alliantenergy.com

Related Stories

View More News Releases