The end of summer is in sight, which means many of us are wrapping up final projects around the house before the seasons change. As you work on that last home improvement or repair, make sure to follow some simple steps to stay safe while you work.
- Keep your body and tools at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Look up for overhead power lines every time you use a ladder.
- Call a professional for help trimming trees near power lines.
- Never use an object to push a power line out of the way.
- Never touch or drive over a downed or low hanging power line. Always assume a downed or low line is still energized.
- Never assume a power line is safe to touch.
- If contact is made with a power line, do not touch the victim. Immediately call 911 and inform the dispatcher of the electrical accident.
- Call 811 prior to digging.
Visit our website for more tips on staying safe indoors and out: alliantenergy.com/communitysupportandsafety/safety/electricsafety.