What is the “How Do You Use Your Energy” campaign?“How Do You Use Your Energy” is an effort by Alliant Energy to showcase difference-makers in Wisconsin or Iowa communities served by Alliant Energy. It’s an opportunity to highlight people who use their personal energy to help their community. Anyone can be nominated using our digital nomination form, but not everyone will be featured. While we appreciate hearing about people who are using energy wisely, we are looking to spotlight stories of people who are putting their energy to work to help improve their community.
What is the “How Do You Use Your Energy” grant?People who are nominated will be contacted and potentially featured in an article that will appear on Alliant Energy’s website, blog, social media, newsletters and in our local media partner publications. Every four stories from each state, one of those people featured will be randomly chosen to receive a $500 donation to the qualified nonprofit or charity of his/her choice. Non-profits selected must be a 501c3 organization in one of the funding areas prioritized by Alliant Energy Foundation.
What do you need from me if I am selected to be interviewed?
Those nominated and who fit the criteria will be contacted by one of our writers. We might need more clarity about the work being done in the community. If we feel the person and work fits one of our priority funding areas, we will need three things from honorees to participate:
- Answers to the questions from the writer of the article. Some people like to just respond to email and type in their own responses. Others prefer to speak with our writer, either on the phone or by video chat. Either option works, but we’ll give you the questions in advance so you have plenty of time to think about how you’d like to answer.
- Photos. We need a good head and shoulders photo of you and, if you have them, we would love to receive 1-2 photos of you doing the work you were nominated for. You will need to have permission to use the photo(s), and we will need to know who took the photo so we can give them credit.
- A signed photo release form, which will be attached to the email. It can be printed and signed. Nominees can scan it to send it back or also just take a photo of it and email that back to the writer.
What is the funding criteria for organizations who can receive the grant?
Organizations selected must fit one of our Alliant Energy Foundations funding priority areas:
- Hunger and Housing
- Workforce Readiness (agriculture, literacy, STEM, workforce development and mentoring, youth development and mentoring)
- Environmental Stewardship (conservation, education, outdoor projects)
- Diversity, Safety and Well-being (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; first responders, disaster readiness and relief, domestic/child abuse)
- Community Engagement
What legal stuff do I need to be aware of?
In carrying out the work for which the award is granted, you will comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules and will not infringe, misappropriate, or violate the intellectual property, privacy, or publicity rights of any third party. If you provide photos, you will obtain any necessary consents and approvals unique to children or vulnerable subjects.