New Deadline Notice: Insulation, home sealing & duct sealing projects completed and installed prior to 12/31/18 must submit all required paperwork by 1/31/19 to be eligible for a 2018 rebate. Insulation, home sealing & duct sealing projects completed and installed between 1/1/19 - 3/31/19 must have completed a Home Energy Assessment and file all paperwork by 4/30/19 to be eligible for an extended 2018 rebate. All deadlines are final and based on date of installation. No exceptions will be made.
How long will it take?
Each basic Home Energy Assessment takes approximately an hour and a half.
Can I choose my time?
Each assessment is unique. Because we want to be as thorough as possible, we cannot honor requests to arrive at a specific time.
During your signup, you will choose a four-hour window for the arrival of the energy assessor. Your energy assessment will start after the energy assessor arrives. They will call you 30 minutes before their expected arrival. Please be prepared for the length of time it takes to complete an assessment once it has started.
Do I qualify for a Home Energy Assessment?
You qualify if:
- Alliant Energy supplies your home’s primary heating energy (electric or natural gas) OR you don’t heat with natural gas (i.e., propane, fuel oil) but Alliant Energy supplies your electricity.
- The primary heating source is the heating equipment permanently installed in your home (furnace, boiler, etc.) All other heating sources (space heater, corn stoves, etc.) are considered supplemental.
- If you heat with natural gas from another energy provider, check to see if they offer a Home Energy Assessment.
- Your home was built before January 1, 2008.
- You have not received an assessment in the last five years.
If you are a renter, you must have the property owner’s approval. We are happy to contact your property owner for approval.
How much does it cost?
The basic Home Energy Assessment is completely free.
What will the energy assessor look at in my home?
The energy assessor will analyze many features of your home, including:
- Insulation levels and air tightness
- Heating and cooling systems
- Kitchen and laundry appliances
- Water heating equipment
- Windows and doors
- Plug load review
During the assessment, you may receive:
- Up to nine LED light bulbs, with additional lights available for purchase*
- Smart power strip*
- Clock-programmable thermostat
- Three faucet aerators
- Two high-efficiency showerheads
- Pipe insulation
All participants will receive a report recommending energy-saving improvements and rebates.
*Some products are only available to Alliant Energy electric customers.