For farm, small business, commercial and industrial electric customers in Iowa and Wisconsin
Every Second Nature customer helps build the demand for green energy, reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and strengthen our domestic fuel base. Your participation costs as little as $5 a month!*
Ready to get started? Enroll today!
To change your participation level, complete the online enrollment form, call 1-800-972-5325 or email email@example.com and request an enrollment card.
Calculate your potential environmental impact
LEED® new construction compliance
Terms and conditions
Benefits to your business
By supporting renewable energy through Second Nature, your business can
- Demonstrate a leadership role in your industry
- Gain a competitive edge
- Add value to your brand and generate positive publicity
- Promote socially-responsible business practices and consumer health
- Your business will also have the unique opportunity to join Alliant Energy's other business green energy buyers
Business participants also receive access to the Second Nature logo for use in your company's materials. Your company will also have the opportunity to share your green story in the bi-annual Second Nature newsletter, distributed to all Second Nature residential and business customers.
How does Second Nature work?
- Your electric meter measures the kilowatt-hours your business uses each month. We divide this amount by your Second Nature contribution to determine the equivalent of green energy.
- Next, we combine your usage with other Second Nature participants to get the month's total green requirement.
- Then we make sure we're bringing enough new green energy into our energy pool to meet the total renewable energy requirement.
- The additional green energy comes from new Second Nature sources, above and beyond Alliant Energy's standard generation portfolio.
- That means every Second Nature customer directly increases demand for renewable energy and reduces demand for non-renewable energy.
How to calculate your monthly Second Nature contribution
Average monthly usage
kWh x 35% = XX kWh.
XX kWh x Second Nature premium of $0.02/kWh = $XX.XX.
Facility Green uses 316,815 annually = 26,401 kWh monthly
26,401 kWh x 35 percent = 9,240 kWh
9,240 kWh x Second Nature premium of $0.02/kWh = $185.00.
$185.00 will be added to your electric bill as a separate line item.
Approximately 80 percent of your participation goes to purchase renewable energy, and is not tax deductible. A portion is earmarked to educate and inform the public about the importance of renewable energy sources.
*A $5 minimum monthly contribution is required in Wisconsin.