Our customers can reap the benefits of new technology and lower costs as we continue to build a clean energy future.
In October 2020, the Kossuth Wind Farm became operational. This is a 150 megawatt wind farm located in Kossuth County, Iowa. It generates power on behalf of Wisconsin customers. The Kossuth Wind Farm is located in north-central Iowa, which has consistently strong wind resources. This project can generate enough energy for 57,000 homes.
In early April 2018, we also finalized our acquisition of a 55-megawatt ownership interest in the Forward Wind Energy Center near Brownsville, Wis.
Both of these projects add to our existing fleet of two other wind farms serving Wisconsin customers: Cedar Ridge and Bent Tree.
Why are you adding more wind energy now?
- We are taking these steps today so that our customers can benefit from the improved economics of wind and receive low-cost, renewable energy for decades.
- Wind has no fuel costs, which helps provide cost stability to customers.
- New technologies have helped drive down the cost of wind, making it competitive with other sources of energy.
- Improvements in technology have increased power output. Taller towers capture wind at higher elevations, leading to better performance.
- Turbines and construction costs continue to decrease as the wind market grows.
- Tax incentives are only available for a limited period. If we don’t move forward today, we will miss an opportunity to provide our customers with the net benefits that result from investing in wind.
How will Wisconsin customers benefit from this wind energy?
- With zero fuel costs, it will help mitigate fluctuations in customer costs from changing fuel prices.
- We are locating wind projects in areas with strong wind resources. As a result, these new resources will produce more energy than if they were located in a lower wind resource area.
- Wind energy is competitive with other, more traditional sources of energy.
- This and other wind projects will contribute to our target to reduce carbon dioxide emissions 50% from 2005 levels by the year 2030 across our entire service area.