Project description and size
- Whispering Willow Wind Farm is located in Franklin County, Iowa. In 2008, we built the original Whispering Willow Wind Farm. It is a 200-megawatt wind farm, and is referred to as Whispering Willow East.
- In 2013, we built Franklin County Wind Farm. This is a 99-megawatt project located adjacent to Whispering Willow East.
- In 2019, we will build Whispering Willow North. This will be a 200-megawatt project, and will be located next to our other existing wind farms in Franklin County.
- We plan to start major construction in the spring of 2019. We expect to finish construction by the end of 2019 and finish final testing in early 2020.
- We are using a 2.5 and 2.3-megawatt wind turbines manufactured by General Electric.
- The energy from all of these wind farms is distributed to the energy grid in Iowa, with Alliant Energy customers receiving all the benefits of the energy generated.