Emergency? Call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268)

How to Make a Payment Arrangement

If you're having trouble making ends meet and can't pay your bill in full, call us right away. We can help you set up a payment arrangement to pay past-due bills over an extended period of time.

Iowa customers
You can request a payment extension by logging into your account online. After logging in, select Payment Extension from the left hand menu.

Wisconsin customers

You can request a pay plan by logging in to My Account. After logging in, select Billing & Payment from the left hand menu.


Cperson paying billsall us at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).

Please do not email your request for an extension or payment arrangement.

We'll work with you to determine a manageable payment amount and schedule, considering such factors as:

  • The size of your past due bill
  • How long your bill has been past due
  • Your payment history
  • Reasons your bill is past due

If you're on a limited income, we may also refer you to a community action agency for energy assistance.

To avoid service disconnection, it is very important to take action on past due bills immediately.

  • If we must disconnect your service, we cannot guarantee same-day reconnection.
  • If your service has been disconnected for nonpayment, you will be charged an additional fee for reconnection.
  • Alliant Energy field service personnel in Iowa and Wisconsin will not accept payments in person.

Understanding your rights
The rules for utility service disconnection are set by state regulatory agencies. The handbooks below provide details about your rights and obligations as an Alliant Energy customer, questions and answers about disconnection and information on energy assistance programs.

For Iowa customers:
Rights & Responsibilities to Avoid Shutoff of Gas and/or Electric Service for Non-Payment [PDF]

For Wisconsin customers:
A Guide to Your Rights [PDF]