With low hazard risks, low land costs and a qualified workforce, Alliant Energy service area is the best place to build a Data Center!
- Available electric capacity throughout our service territory
- Availability of Base Load Power Dual feed or dedicated feed availability in some locations
- Alliant Energy wants to ensure energy is there when you need it. Check out Alliant Energy's comprehensive reliability plan.
Energy-Efficiency Products and Services
- Low-interest financing available for on-site generation
- Low-interest financing for energy efficiency
- Energy Efficiency project consulting
- Infrastructure and on-site generation services
- Standby generation-energy on demand
- Energy usage and tracking
- Power quality engineering
- Renewable technologies
- *Focus on Energy "Green IT!" Plan (Wisconsin only).
Tax Advantages and Incentives
Iowa Data Center Business Property Exemption
- Exemption for certain property other than land and buildings that is purchased by a data center business
- Includes computers and equipment, back-up fuel and electricity that are necessary for the maintenance and operation of a data center business
- Graduated scale of incentives based on the relative size of the investment
- Refund of 50% of certain sales taxes paid for defined periods of time based on level of investment
- Permanent tax exemptions for projects $200 million or more
- Property tax exemption for computer hardware and software
Fiber and Broadband available
Fiber and Broadband are readily available throughout the populated areas of our service territory.
Low Hazard Risk
Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota are at low risk for hurricanes, wild fires, earthquakes, floods and terrorist activity.
- Iowa average temperature: 47.81 F
- Wisconsin average temperature: 43.12 F
- Minnesota average temperature: 41.16 F
- Iowa average yearly precipitation: 33.12 inches
- Wisconsin average yearly precipitation: 32.93 inches
- Minnesota average yearly precipitation: 28.32 inches
Low Land Cost
Land costs in the Midwest are among the lowest in the Nation. Land availability in the Midwest is among the most prevalent.
The Information Assurance Center at Iowa State University (ISU) in Ames, Iowa is certified by the National Security Administration (NSA) and offers master's degrees in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, and operations and management information systems. This NSA-certified program is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Research (CAE-R).
In addition, more than 20 technical colleges and universities throughout and near our service territory offer programs in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Programming, Computer Technology, Networking and Web Development.
Close major universities include:
- University of Wisconsin, Madison Campus
- University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire Campus
- Marquette University, Milwaukee
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa