I can't pay my current bill, what options do I have?
What is the difference between a Payment Arrangement and a Payment Extension?
A Payment Extension gives you the option of extending your current bill due date up to 30 days. Extending your current bill due date does not extend your next bill due date. You will need to pay both the extended amount and next bill amount on the dates they are due.
You can request a Payment Extension through My Account. Log into My Account, select Billing & Payment from the left-hand menu, select Request a Pay Plan and accept the new due date and submit. If you do not have a My Account, you may also call us at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).
A Payment Arrangement gives you the option of paying your past-due bills over an extended period of time. The Payment Arrangement amount will be due in addition to your current bill amount.
We'll work with you to determine a manageable payment amount and schedule, considering such factors as:
- The size of your past due bill
- How long your bill has been past due
- Your payment history
- Reasons your bill is past due
If you qualify, we may also refer you to a community action agency for energy assistance.
Please do not email your request for an extension or payment arrangement. Alliant Energy field service personnel cannot accept payments.
To avoid service disconnection, it is very important to take action on past due bills immediately.
- If we must disconnect your service, we cannot guarantee same-day reconnection. (Exception: November 1 through April 1 for Iowa customers.)
- If your service has been disconnected for nonpayment, you will be charged an additional fee for reconnection.