I can't pay my current bill. What options do I have?
If you can't pay your bill in full by your due date, you can check your eligibility for a Payment Extension or Payment Arrangement in My Account. You may be able to set up a Payment Extension to delay your current due date or a Payment Arrangement to pay past-due bills over an extended period of time.
Check your eligibility for a Payment Arrangement or Payment Extension through My Account.
- Log into My Account.
- Select Billing from the menu at the top.
- From the left-side menu, select Need Help to Pay.
- Consider which payment option is best for you. Use the buttons to check your eligibility.
- If you agree to the terms, you can complete the process online.
What is the difference between a Payment Arrangement and a Payment Extension?
A payment extension extends your current bill due date up to 30 days.
- Normally, a late payment fee (1.5% or less of the current amount due) is added to your next bill when using a Payment Extension. However, we have temporarily suspended late fees during this public health emergency.
- Make sure to request your payment extension before the bill is due. (Extensions aren’t available for past-due bills.)
- Extending your current bill due date does not extend your next bill’s due date. You will need to pay both the extended amount and your next bill amount on the dates they are due.
Am I eligible? Residential and business customers without a past due balance are eligible for a payment extension, as long as it’s set up before the bill due date. Customers on Automatic Payment are not eligible for a payment extension.
A Payment Arrangement lets you pay your past-due bills over an extended period of time. The Payment Arrangement amount will be due in addition to your current bill amount.
Your Payment Extension amount will be determined by:
- The size of your past due bill
- How long it has been past due
- Your payment history
Am I eligible? Residential and business customers not on Budget Billing are eligible. Defaulting on a previous payment arrangement may impact eligibility.
Please do not email your request for a Payment Extension or Payment Arrangement.
You may also qualify for support from a community action agency for energy assistance.
Alliant Energy field service personnel cannot accept payments.
To avoid service disconnection, it is very important to take action on past due bills immediately.
- If we must disconnect your service, we cannot guarantee same-day reconnection. (Exception: November 1 through April 1 for Iowa customers.) ATTENTION: We are resuming disconnections on July 1 for Iowa customers and July 15 for Wisconsin customers.
- If your service has been disconnected for nonpayment, we are temporarily waiving reconnection fees.