Alliant Energy cautions customers to be safe during outside work projects
Company offers safety tips regarding tree trimming, powerlines and digging
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – August 31, 2020 – The derecho that swept across the Midwest on August 10 uprooted many trees and took down countless branches. This left many people eager to clear them from their yards. Similarly, anytime a storm comes through a community, it can leave behind a mess of debris that home and business owners need to clean up.
Alliant Energy is reminding customers to always keep safety in mind as they take on the monumental task of clearing tree, branch and root debris around their properties.
“We follow the value of Live safety. Everyone. Always at Alliant Energy,” said Mark Hawley, Alliant Energy Director of Safety. “Our first priority is that nobody gets hurts. We urge customers to be safe and keep safety top of mind on their property, whether after a storm, for a project or recreation.”
Alliant Energy is offering customers these safety tips:
- Don’t attempt to remove tree limbs stuck in or touching power lines – call Alliant Energy for assistance.
- Call a professional to trim trees near power lines.
- When tree trimming or removing branches – whether standing on the ground or using a ladder, pole or crane -- stay at least 10 feet away from any electric lines.
- Don’t let anyone climb trees near power lines.
- Keep children and pets away from utility equipment, including meters and transformers.
- Don’t go near downed power lines, especially if they are tangled in trees or other vegetation.
- Always assume a downed line is energized and dangerous, even if it's not jumping or sparking. If you see a downed line or damaged utility equipment, call Alliant Energy.
- Call 811 to locate underground utility lines before starting any project that requires digging. This would include digging to remove what is left from downed trees. It’s simple, free – and it’s the law.
To report an emergency, including a service outage or downed power lines, call Alliant Energy at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268). You can find more safety information online at alliantenergy.com/safety.