Through Alliant Energy's innovative Second Nature™ program, you can support renewable energy equal to 25 percent, 50 percent or even 100 percent of your electric usage each month.
Whether it comes from renewable sources or conventional sources, all electricity flows into a single energy pool. When you flip a switch, you draw electricity out of this pool.
- Your electric meter measures the kilowatt-hours you use each month. We divide this by your Second Nature participation level (25%, 50% or 100%) to figure how much green energy you require.
- Next we combine your requirement with other Second Nature customers to get the month's total green requirement.
- Then we make sure we're bringing enough new green energy into our energy pool to meet the total green requirement.
- This additional green energy comes from Second Nature resources, above and beyond Alliant Energy's standard sources. As electricity comes into the energy pool from these renewable resources, it displaces electricity that would otherwise come from sources like coal, gas and nuclear.
- What this means is, every time you use Second Nature, you directly increase demand for renewable energy, and reduce demand for non-renewable energy. And we make sure we meet that demand by bringing new green energy into the energy pool.
There’s no equipment to buy and you'll be surprised at how big an impact just one household can make:
- When just one household participates in Second Nature at the 100 percent level, the annual carbon dioxide emission reduction is 8.6 metric tons. That is the environmental equivalent to the annual greenhouse gas emissions from 1.8 passenger cars or 3.2 tons of waste sent to the landfill instead of recycled.*
- During 2013, Second Nature participants supported more than 57 million kilowatt-hours of renewable energy.
* U.S. EPA Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator using the average residential customer usage 12,258 kilowatt-hours of electricity per year.
Participation costs by state
Enroll in Second Nature today
To be eligible, you must be a residential electric customer of Alliant Energy, residing in Wisconsin, Iowa or Minnesota.
To enroll or change your participation level call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your participation will begin with your next billing cycle. Please note that enrollment may take up to eight weeks, depending on when your billing cycle begins and ends. Any changes to your participation become effective with the next practicable billing cycle.
Approximately 80 percent of your participation go to purchase renewable energy, and is not tax deductible. A portion is earmarked to educate and inform the public about the importance of renewable energy sources.
Green-e Energy certified program
The Second Nature program is Green-e® Energy certified. Green-e Energy was established by the non-profit Center for Resource Solutions to provide information and an objective standard for consumers to compare renewable energy options, and to verify that consumers get what they pay for.
For more information on Green-e Energy certification requirements call 1-888-63-GREEN or visit www.green-e.org.