For Iowa residential customers and applicants to the Efficiency First Renewable Rebates program.
Earn rebates, improve your home’s comfort and save hundreds on yearly energy bills with the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program
If you’re like most homeowners, unnecessary energy waste is costing you hundreds of dollars each year. Plus, it may be causing annoying drafts, fluctuating temperatures and moisture issues in your home. Stop these problems and put money back in your pocket with the new Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program for existing homes.
Homeowners that complete the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program can expect to save up to $199 on natural gas bills and $205 on electricity bills each year for the average Alliant Energy residential customer.
Source: Environmental Protection Agency and Alliant Energy’s 2008 SEC 10K report.
The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program helps you earn up to $400 in cash rewards for making the energy-efficiency upgrades your home needs most. Some suggested improvements may be big (like replacing a water heater) and others may be small (like caulking around windows and doors). Each is designed to help you save money and experience greater home comfort.
But here’s the best part – you choose which upgrades are best for you, based on your budget and the energy savings you want to achieve. The more energy you save, the lower your energy bills and the bigger your cash reward.
In most cases, your upgrades will qualify for Alliant Energy rebates and possibly federal tax credits (a dollar-for-dollar credit on your tax return). Plus, once your projects are complete and your energy savings are verified, we’ll give you a check for $100-$400 (based on your total energy savings) just for reaching your energy savings goal.
To enroll in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, there is a one-time $99 participation fee. This helps pay for the two energy assessments you will be receiving (a $500 value). Remember, your participation fee will pay for itself many times over through lower energy bills, cash bonuses for achieving energy savings and rebates on energy-efficiency purchases.
3 ways to earn rebates
By taking part in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, you could save about $404 each year on your combined electricity and natural gas bill, PLUS you can also earn:
- Rebates on purchases. Many energy-saving appliances and home improvement materials qualify for Alliant Energy rebates.
- Up to a $400 cash reward for achieving energy savings. If you reach 50 percent your energy savings goal, you will earn $100-$400 cash (based on your total energy savings) from Alliant Energy.
- Tax credits from the federal government. Some energy-efficiency equipment and home improvement upgrades qualify for a dollar-for-dollar credit on your taxes.
How the program works
- A certified home energy expert will give your home a top-to-bottom energy inspection (a $350 value). You will get a customized report, identifying where your energy dollars are going, suggested improvements, and how much energy and money you can expect to save. Some energy-efficiency measures (compact fluorescent light bulbs, programmable thermostat, water heater wrap, etc.) may be installed on the spot for free.
- You pick three or more improvements that make the most sense for you, and work towards getting the projects completed within one year. You’ll receive a customized report of improvements for your home. We’ll also provide a list of local contractors who have special training to assist with your projects, as well as expert guidance to help you make the right decisions.
- Once your projects are complete, the energy expert will return to perform a follow-up assessment to determine how much energy you are now saving. If you meet or exceed your energy-savings goal, you will receive a bonus check from Alliant Energy for $100-$400 (based on your total energy savings). This is in addition to any cash-back rewards you receive from Alliant Energy on your purchases, your monthly energy savings, any federal tax credits, and the two energy assessments (a $700 value) that you’ll receive as part of the program.
To sign up or learn more about the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, call 1-866-ALLIANT (1-866-255-4268).