It is important for people to remember that walking through a wet or flooded home or business can be dangerous. Avoid walking through flooded backyards if water is touching ground-mounted electrical transformers or other equipment. Alliant Energy advises people to use extreme caution if this situation occurs and offers the following guidelines to ensure safety.
- Never walk through a flooded home or building until the electricity is disconnected. Even a small amount of water on the floor of your basement can put you at risk for electrocution.
- Call Alliant Energy to have service disconnected at the meter. If flooding occurs and there is standing water in your home or business, and the power is still on, call Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268 to have power disconnected before you step into any standing water. Once the power is disconnected, it’s safe to begin clean up.
- Call Alliant Energy to have your natural gas turned off, before you first go back inside your home after a flood. Standing water can extinguish pilot lights on water heaters and furnaces, filling your home with natural gas. Call Alliant Energy to have your home’s natural gas service turned off.
- Never reuse a flooded natural gas appliance. Water can cause corrosion inside the appliance.
- Water and electricity can be a deadly combination. Do not place electrical extension cords or appliances in water.
- If water has reached the meter socket, and/or the panel box (breaker, fuse box), an electrical inspection is required before the service can be reenergized.
- Never handle electric appliances or any other electric equipment, such as a circuit breaker, with wet hands or while standing on a wet surface.
- Make sure generators used for water removal are outside and vented properly. Keep extension cords from generators out of water.
- If you choose to use a portable generator as a source of electricity for your home or business, please make sure that it is installed by a licensed contractor. It is also important to notify us at 1-800-ALLIANT to advise utility personnel working in your area. Due to improper installation, portable generators often back-feed into the distribution system, making it very dangerous for crews working on the electric lines.
If you smell gas . . .
- Do not attempt to locate gas leaks.
- Do not remain in your home or business when there is a strong gas odor.
- Leave the property and call 911 or Alliant Energy from a safe location, and keep others away until the area is safe.
- Do not operate any electrical device, including phones, garage door opener, radios, TVs, computers, or anything that creates a flame like matches or a lighter.
- Do not turn on or turn off any lights or electrical switches.
- Do not use telephones of any type, including cordless, cell or landline.
- Do not position or operate vehicles and power equipment where leaking gas may be present.
- Do not touch any fallen power lines and never touch anything in contact with a downed line.
Please note that Alliant Energy does not charge for flood-related disconnects and reconnects. Shutting off your gas and electric service during times of flooding is done for safety purposes. Alliant Energy will not charge you to have your service turned off when flooding occurs, or turned back on after the clean-up is done.