If you believe stray voltage is an issue on your farm, an Alliant Energy stray voltage consultation can help you assess the problem and find the best solutions.
Contact the Business Resource Center to request a stray voltage consultation.
- Spot voltage checks at animal contact locations to pinpoint where an animal may be exposed to voltage, and to determine locations for extended time recording.
- Voltage measurements over a minimum of at least two milkings or approximately 24 hours on the utility electrical system, the farm electrical system and at animal contact locations. Animal contact voltages measured with and without a 500-ohm resistor to ensure accuracy.
- Detailed reports, data and explanations
- A summary of your farm's wiring.
We listen to what type of concerns you have, what you want to happen and what we can do for you. If you are interested, we make an appointment for the beginning of an actual stray voltage investigation.
The recording voltage meter is installed for two milkings. Monitoring continues until it is determined that the entire electrical system has been evaluated and the concerns of the customer addressed.
Alliant Energy monitors the entire electrical system for approximately 24 hours. We evaluate both the on-farm and off-farm systems. We can show the measurements from both systems to you.
Yes, you will receive a summary letter, copies of the recorded data as graphs, and an explanation of all the data collected.
No - stray voltage investigations are provided free of charge to livestock customers on a yearly basis.
Yes, we can within the guidelines of the two different procedures:
- The first procedure determines that the stray voltage level at the animal contact point is above the level of action and is caused by an off farm electrical source. This is a temporary installation which will be removed when the voltage has been lowered below the level of action.
- The second procedure allows the customer to request a neutral isolator be installed without regard to the animal contact voltage. There are costs to the customer for this type of installation.
If the animal contact voltage measured is higher than the preventative level of action, additional tests may be performed to determine the source of the voltage. If Alliant Energy's utility system is contributing 0.5 volts or more to the animal content voltage level, we will modify our equipment to lower this voltage below 0.5 volts If the animal contact voltages are due to the wiring on your farm, your Alliant Energy Ag Representative will assist you in identifying the sources and consulting with your electrician to remedy the trouble spots.
Your Alliant Energy Ag Representative can also perform follow-up testing to determine the effectiveness of any modifications. He or she will also consult on new construction projects or the installation of equipotential planes.