Offering residential utility customers in Iowa the opportunity to purchase landscape trees at discount prices
This partnership initiative is funded by Alliant Energy and administered by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Bureau of Forestry, in partnership with the conservation boards of host counties.
Since 2001, more than 62,265 new trees have been planted throughout the state of Iowa during 189 Operation ReLeaf events.
How Operation ReLeaf helps communities
- Residential customers save energy by planting trees to shade their homes or to create a wind break.
- Local nurseries can provide low-cost, high-quality and diverse landscape trees to the community.
- Improved long-term community reforestation and energy conservation through efficient landscaping.
- Communities and counties hard hit by storm damage can receive flexible and responsive help in re-planting efforts.
How does it work?
Approximately 2,800 high-quality three- to eight-foot landscaping trees are offered for only $25 each during the spring and fall planting seasons. The trees, which retail for $65 to $125, are sold at on a first-come, first-served basis. They are purchased though a bidding process from local Iowa nurseries.
- Rethinking Maple - Selecting Trees for Your Yard [PDF]
- Planting Guide for your Operation ReLeaf tree [PDF]
- Operation Releaf frequently asked questions [PDF]
Eligibility and how to participate
Operation ReLeaf participants must be Alliant Energy customers in Iowa and willing to pick-up their tree(s) on the day of distribution in their designated region. There is a limit of two trees per household, per planting season.
Advance reservation is required. Fees paid for tree(s) not picked up on the designated distribution day will be considered a donation.
Tree planting workshop
Proper planting is essential to raising a healthy tree. Learn how to properly plant and care for your new tree at the tree planting workshop available at some locations during the pickup event. Watch the steps and find out what you need to make your tree thrive. Experts will be available to answer your questions.
Operation ReLeaf locations
Before you order, you can determine the best location to plant your tree(s) to have the most energy efficiency impact by using this simple tool: http://www.itreetools.org/design.php. Note: iTree Design works best with Google Chrome.
Click on the link and follow these easy steps:
- Enter your address and click “go”
- Fill in the boxes on the left, leaving tree condition at excellent, click on the “Check here to evaluate energy effects” box
- Outline your house using the tool on the top of the page, click on the tree icon and move cursor around to see the benefits before you place your tree
- Click on “Continue & Estimate Full Benefits” to see the benefits your tree will provide
Clinton County - DeWitt
Order forms will be available to download in August.
Partner: City of DeWitt
Location: Westbrook Park, 520 Westbrook Drive, DeWitt
Date: Wednesday, October 12; 4:30 – 6 p.m.
Tree planting and Care 5:15 p.m.
Dallas County – Perry
Partner: Dallas County Conservation Foundation
Location: Dallas County Roads Maintenance Building, 1215 Iowa Hwy 141, Perry
Date: Thursday, September 22; 4:30 – 6 p.m.
Tree planting and Care Workshop: 5:15 p.m.
Des Moines County – Burlington
Partner: City of Burlington
Location: Dankwardt Park
Date: Saturday, October 15; 8 – 9:30 a.m.
Tree planting and Care Workshop: 8:45 a.m.
Dubuque County – Peosta
Partner: Dubuque County Conservation
Location: Swiss Valley Park; 13069 Swiss Valley Road, Peosta
Linn County – Marion
Partner: Linn County Conservation Board
Location: Squaw Creek Park, 4305 Squaw Lane, Marion
Saturday, October 1; 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Tree Planting and Care Workshop: 8:15 a.m.
Marshall County – Marshalltown
Partner: Marshall County Conservation Board
Location: Grimes Farm
Date: Saturday, September 17; 9 – 10:30 a.m.
Tree planting and Care Workshop: 9:45 a.m.
Washington County – Washington
Partner: Washington County Extension
Location: Washington County Fairgrounds, 2223 250th Street, Washington
Date: Thursday, September 29; 4 – 5:30 p.m.
Tree planting and Care Workshop: 5 p.m.
Winnebago County – Thompson
Partner: Winnebago County Conservation
Location: Winnebago County Fairgrounds, 264 Fairgrounds Drive, Thompson
Date: Wednesday, September 21; 4 – 5:30 p.m.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
502 East 9th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319