Alliant Energy's Operation ReLeaf program offers residential utility customers in Iowa the opportunity to purchase landscape trees at discount prices.
This partnership initiative is funded by Alliant Energy and administered by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Bureau of Forestry in partnership with the conservation boards of host counties.
Since 2001, more than 62,265 new trees have been planted throughout the state of Iowa during 189 Operation ReLeaf events.
How the program works
Approximately 2,800 high-quality three- to eight-foot landscaping trees are offered for only $25 each during the spring and fall planting seasons. The trees, which retail for $65 to $125, are sold at on a first-come, first-served basis.
Download the examples of tree types available [PDF] (Not all tree varieties available at all distribution sites.)
The Operation ReLeaf program has a few basic goals:
- Help residential customers save energy by planting trees to shade their homes or to create a wind break.
- Provide low-cost, high-quality and diverse landscape trees from local nurseries.
- Promote long-term community reforestation and energy conservation through efficient landscaping.
- Be flexible and responsive (on a residential basis) to communities and counties hard hit by storm damage.
Trees for Operation ReLeaf are purchased though a bidding process from local Iowa nurseries.
Eligibility and how to participate
Operation ReLeaf participants must be Alliant Energy customers in Iowa and willing to pick-up their tree(s) on the day of distribution in their designated region. There is a limit of two trees per household, per planting season.
Advance reservation is required. Fees paid for tree(s) not picked up on the designated distribution day will be considered a donation.
Operation ReLeaf Locations
Before you order, determine the best location to plant your tree(s) to have the most energy efficiency impact by using this simple to use tool: http://www.itreetools.org/design.php
iTree Design works best using Google Chrome
To use iTree Design simply click on the link and follow these easy steps:
• Enter your address and click “go”
• Fill in the boxes on the left, leaving tree condition at excellent, click on the “Check here to evaluate energy effects” box
• Outline your house using the tool on the top of the page, click on the tree icon and move cursor around to see the benefits before you place your tree
• Click on “Continue & Estimate Full Benefits” to see the benefits your tree will provide
There are no Operation ReLeaf events currently scheduled. Please check back in early 2015 for information on our spring events.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
502 East 9th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319