Alliant Energy closed the sale of its Minnesota electric distribution assets to 12 members of Southern Minnesota Energy Cooperatives. As of July 31, 2015 all of Alliant Energy’s former retail electric customers will be served by their local cooperative.
The natural gas distribution systems and related business assets have been sold to Minnesota Energy Resources.
|Resources||l Electric Distribution Business Sale||l||Natural Gas Distribution Business Sale|
Electric Distribution Business Sale
Beginning July 31, 2015 the electric cooperatives will be responsible for all aspects of electric service to Alliant Energy’s former retail customers in Minnesota.
What does this mean for me?
If you were an Alliant Energy electric customer in Minnesota, your electric service is now being provided by your local electric cooperative.
What do I need to do?
- Check your mail. You were sent a transition guide from Alliant Energy, a postcard stating when the transfer of your electric service would occur, and a welcome letter from your new electric cooperative.
- If you use Paperless Billing, watch your mail. Your final bill will arrive in hard copy. It will not be sent electronically.
- Review any payment programs you may be using, such as Budget Billing, Automatic Payment or Paperless Billing. After your service transfers and you’ve received a new account number, set aside time to re-enroll.
- Review our Q&A on the transition of your account and service.
Full Case Record: All documents filed in this docket are available online at mn.gov/puc. Select Search eDockets, enter the year (14) and the docket number (322), and select Search.
Subscribe to the Docket: Subscribe to receive email notifications when new documents are filed.
Note - subscribing may result in a large number of emails.
2. Select green box Subscribe to a Docket
3. Type your email address
4. For Type of Subscription, select Docket Number
5. For Docket Number, select 14 in the first box, type 322 in the second box
6. Select Add to List
7. Select Save
Natural Gas Distribution Business Sale
Status: Sale completed
Effective May 1, Alliant Energy’s natural gas customers are now served by Minnesota Energy Resources. Customers have been transitioned Minnesota Energy Resources’ programs and service terms.
Customers will be receiving additional information through direct mail from Minnesota Energy Resources regarding their programs and services. Customers can also contact Minnesota Energy Resources’ customer service representatives at 1-800-889-9508 or visit minnesotaenergyresources.com with questions.
Review these transition guides:
- Transition guide: Residential natural gas customers
- Transition guide: Business natural gas customers
- Transition guide: Residential natural gas and electric customers
- Transition guide: Business natural gas and electric customers
Gas transition postcard
- February 27, 2015: Notice to Alliant Energy's Minnesota natural gas customers
- News releases
- View regulatory docket
- Summary of rate impacts
February 5, 2014 - Alliant Energy files for regulatory approval of proposed sale of Minnesota natural gas business
April 16, 2014 - Alliant Energy and Southern Minnesota Energy Cooperative file for regulatory approval of sale of Minnesota electric distribution business
April 30, 2015 - Alliant Energy successfully closes Minnesota natural gas system sale transaction with Minnesota Energy Resources
July 31, 2015 - Alliant Energy closes sale of its Minnesota electric distribution assets to cooperatives