The following requirements must be met before any wireline or associated equipment attachment is made to a WPL facility.
- A copy of a fully executed standard WPL Pole Attachment or Pole Lease Agreement must be on file at WPL’s corporate office. (If you do not have an existing agreement with WPL, please contact Pat Valley, Sr. Joint Facility Coordinator at 608-458-3027.)
- A completed on-line Pole Attachment Request (application) form must be e-mailed to Joint Facilities at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A WPL Field Engineering review of all structures and approval of each attachment must be completed.
NOTE: The Pole Attachment Request form is used specifically for wireline attachments (wire, cable or fiber). Please contact Joint Facilities (Pat Valley) at 608-458-3027 if you have questions related to placing other types of attachments on WPL poles.
Pole Attachment Request form [XLS]
- Complete all unshaded fields on the on-line Pole Attachment Request (application) form. A signed Cover Sheet is required for each application. WPL pole numbers are stamped on tags on the pole and are formatted using the Public Land Survey System of Town-Range-Section. (See examples showing tags and placement on pole.)
For specific instructions related to each field on the form, please see the Form Instructions information below. Forms that are not complete will be returned via ‘Reply’ e-mail.
- Save the form (Excel spreadsheet) and attach it to an e-mail addressed to email@example.com. The required documents identified in the Cover Sheet must accompany your e-mail. If you require more than the poles allowed on the form (100 poles), a separate application will be required. You will receive a confirmation ‘Reply’ e-mail once the request has been received. Maps and drawings in .pdf format may also be attached to the e-mail.
- A WPL Field Engineer will review the request for accuracy. If inaccuracies are discovered, the Request will be returned to you. If information appears to be accurate, WPL Field Engineering will contact you regarding a field survey of the facilities identified on the Pole Attachment Request. WPL Field Engineering charges will be billed regardless of the need for make-ready or attachment approval.
- If make-ready is required, estimated charges will be communicated to you, and will be billed if you decide to continue with attachment on the proposed route. When payment is received, the WPL Field Engineer will schedule make-ready construction, and will contact you when it has been completed. The Make-Ready Estimate is only valid for 14 days. If WPL does not receive acceptance within 14 days, a new application will be required.
- Attach your wires and wire-line equipment as specified and approved by the WPL Field Engineer. The date of attachment approval (if no make-ready is required) or make-ready completion will be the effective date of the attachments, and the records will be entered into WPL’s tracking and billing systems.
- Notify the WPL Field Engineer within 10 days of completing attachments to WPL poles.
- The WPL Field Engineer will perform a billable post-construction review of the new attachments. All time associated with the post-construction review is billable to the company requesting to attach. If violations are found, approval will be denied until corrections have been made.
Location: Check the City, Town or Village box, and provide the name of the franchise area.
County: County of the franchise area
Project Description: Provide project name and/or address.
Attaching Company Name: The official name of the company requesting to attach who will maintain and own the attached facilities.
Company Rep. Name: Name of the person performing the design and requesting attachment to WPL poles. This will be the person WPL will contact for further information or to provide information related to required make-ready.
Attaching Company Billing Address: The street address or PO Box including City, State and Zip where all communication and billing, including engineering and make-ready should be sent.
Attaching Company Rep. Phone Number: The office or cell phone number where our Engineer may contact you during regular business hours.
Attaching Company Rep. E-mail: The e-mail address of Company Rep.
Affiliation of Rep. if Not Attaching Company: If person completing this Request is not affiliated with the Attaching Company, identify the affiliation of Rep.
Attaching Company Principal Communications Type: Choose one of the communication types from the pick list.
Existing Attachments Section: Complete this section only if there are existing attachments on WPL poles covered by this request. This includes the telephone company, CATV provider, municipal or other entity that may own some of the poles, or have attachments on the poles. Other attaching companies may bill you for their costs related to your request.
Required Documents: The Attaching Company must provide wire/cable/fiber specifications.
Complete all unshaded areas.
Project Location or Description: Provide project name and/or address.
Name of Attaching Company: The official name of the company requesting to attach.
Alliant Energy Map and Pole Information: WPL pole numbers are stamped on tags on the pole and are formatted using the Public Land Survey System of Town-Range-Section. The number found on tags on WPL poles show the Town-Range-Section-Quarter Section-Quarter Quarter Section and pole grid number. (Example: 6-12-23.2.1 22/40) Alliant Energy (WPL) maps are available for a fee following receipt of an executed confidentiality agreement.
Total Cable/Fiber Diameter (including existing wire): Total diameter of the cable that will be on the pole. If the cable is being overlashed to existing cable, indicate the total diameter of the final attachment.
Overlash: Indicate “Yes or No” if the cable/wire/fiber will be overlashed to existing cable/wire/fiber.
Proposed Attachment Height: Calculate the height at which you propose the attachment be placed. WPL will review the clearance calculations from the proposed attachment to WPL facilities, determine the required clearance based on code requirements and standards requirements, and determine if work needs to occur on the pole. The attaching company is responsible for insuring the attachment meets applicable code ground clearances.
Minimum & Maximum Sag Between Poles: Indicate the minimum and maximum sag between spans that will provide you with code required clearance from other facilities and ground clearance.
Existing Attachments: Indicate the owners of other attachments on the pole. Other attachment owners should be notified of your intent to place cable/wire/fiber on the pole per instructions on the Cover Sheet. Existing Attachment Height: Indicate height of existing attachments (if applicable).
Questions? Contact Pat Valley at 608-458-3027.